Monday, April 24, 2017

Book Nook: Talking with God

I recently had a chance to review Talking with God by Adam Weber. This was an intriguing book for me. Despite having been raised in a Lutheran house and attending Lutheran schools all the way through college (and working in a Lutheran school now) I am honestly not a fan of praying. Not in the sense that I don't like to do it, but in the sense that I never feel like I'm doing it right and hate to do it in front of people other than young kids (although I'm getting over that by the sheer number of times I have to pray in public as my role as teacher and music director).

I'm not the only one who feels awkward about praying, and that's who this book is for. Theologically I know there is no wrong way to pray, that God hears everything and knows what we mean. But it can still be helpful to learn ways to make it feel less awkward. This book helps answer the questions of how to pray, what to say, how to make it simple, and how to pray even when you don't know what to say.

You can tell the love that the author has for God, and the strong desire he has to bring other people into that same closeness. The book is Biblically-based, and offers ways to pray without resorting to formulaic recitations. It's a great book for anyone who wants to learn to pray better, whether it's for personal prayer or for praying with  and in front of others.

ADAM WEBER lives in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He likes typewriters, drives a Rambler, cheers for the Cincinnati Bengals, has 4 chickens, and a dog named Daisy. He's the Founder and Lead Pastor of Embrace, a 10-year-old church that has grown to 6 campuses in two states. He and his beautiful wife, Becky, have four kids: Hudson, Wilson, Grayson and Anderson. Fun fact: He once made worldwide news when a turkey vulture fell out of the sky and onto his back porch during an ice storm. Google it.

Disclosure: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment